Saturday, September 8, 2007

Little House on the Lake


Sydney Kayaking With Friend on Lake

We have friends, fellow homeschoolers, who live on a lake up in the mountains. Well, they don't actually live on the lake...they are beside it, but I'm sure you figured that out. Anyway, several times a year, they invite all the area homeschoolers over for the afternoon. This is something my kids always look forward to and they literally count down the minutes once they hear we will be going there. I must say that I look forward to it as well because I actually get a chance to speak with real, honest-to-goodness adults with very few interruptions from the kids. Then again, I think the kids like it because they get few interruptions from the adults!

The lake this family lives on is actually more of a modified farm pond, which consists of about 36 inches of water and a foot of smelly, slimy mud. Yes, kid heaven! I have pictures of my kids kayaking (such as the one I posted above) and it looks like they are in deep water, so it's rather surprising to see them hop out of their boats way out on the lake in only chest-deep water. They are in the process of dredging the lake, but the mud keeps moving in faster then they can push it out. After two years of dredging, they have a couple deep-ish channels but most of the water is still rather shallow.

Any clothes and/or swim suits worn in this water end up with a semi-permanent swampy smell and turn a permanent, slightly dingy color. You also must wash things the very moment you get home or they smell downright awful and often become destined for the garbage. We have a creek going through our property and plenty of mud and dirt to go with it, but I guess our mud just isn't 'muddy' enough. No, my kids prefer the exotic lure of strange mud...the mud being muddier on the other side definitely holds true for these mud connoisseurs. Is it no wonder my kids are so excited to go over there?



Tucker and Dylan on Dock by Lake

Sydney Swimming in Lake

(Those are fake tattoos on my daughter's arm...NOT leeches! lol)

Sydney With Friends Swimming in Lake



No comments: